Why can’t we just let people be who they are?




Today, I want to talk about an issue that I keep observing in society and my surroundings all the time which is criticizing others who are very passionate about something we think is not worthy of passion.


Let me give an example: as the world cup has started, millions of football fans cheer enthusiastically for their chosen team. What bothers me is that some people think that those fans who cheer whole heartedly and so enthusiastically are silly or crazy to be so passionate about football like that. I get that those criticizers are not as passionate about football as those enthusiastic fans but why do they want to impose their view (that football is not worth that much passion) on others?

I see this pattern in many areas like music, art, sports, and all sorts of activities where people criticize fans of these activities for their very strong passion and love for them, but I just think it’s really disrespectful to criticize another for something they love and are passionate about no matter how silly we think this thing is. Everyone is different and we all have different likes, hobbies, and passions so just because we see something as unimportant doesn’t mean that it is unimportant to others.

Why can’t we just respect each other and allow each other to be whomever they want to be regardless if we agree with them or not? Regardless if we agree with each other’s values, beliefs, likes, and dislikes or not? And by respecting and allowing, I mean not thinking in the privacy of our own mind that we are the “only correct” way or that we are the “more correct” way or the “only sane” people or whatever.


This is just my take on this because I see it as a little building block to world peace.


Photo by A. L. on Unsplash



Peace & Love to you all

You Might Also Like

0 comments